Sag Harbor is Confusing - Blog Post #5


I haven’t gotten around to reading the last chapter of Sag Harbor yet, but so far it has been quite a confusing read in terms of structure. I don’t really have any problems understanding any particular plot point, but I have no idea how they are all meant to tie together or if they even are meant to do so. We’ve described a couple books in this class as a collection of short stories, but this one feels like nothing but that, not even attempting to tie all its tales together. It’s true we are getting to know Ben as an adult through his narration, and while that could be seen as the culmination of all these short stories, it feels too disconnected from the events being described to be as satisfying to follow as something like Jason’s growth (Though my mind could completely change when I finally read the finale this weekend).

However, as good as I am at being a needlessly critical prick, it wouldn’t be quite right if I didn’t also give this book some praise seeing as it’s my second favorite from this class right behind Black Swan Green. To start, the confusing and all over the place nature of the chapters allows for Ben to just tell whatever story he wants without limits, and it makes for a very entertaining read. One page you’ll be reading about Benji awkwardly bumping into his coworker and profusely apologizing to her, and then one accidental sneeze induced page flip later Ben will be telling you about how he got a bullet lodged behind his eye. So far, my favorite account in this bizarre collection has been “To Prevent Flare-Ups”. I wasn’t too sure about it at first as it seemed the most scattered out of all the chapters (which is saying quite a lot), but after discussing it in class and rereading select parts it actually stuck with me more than any other chapter. All the distressing little noises and signs Benji points out made for quite a tense and captivating chapter once I actually understood their purpose thanks to class discussion. 

Thanks for reading my vile blog post. Have a nice day. Or don’t. I can’t tell you what to do, I’m (probably) not your father.

 

Comments

  1. I also was a bit overwhelmed at first by the amount of seemingly random stories in this book. I wasn't sure how they pieced together but I think maybe they each have an individual importance in his coming-of-age? It is also sort of difficult to tell because there doesn't appear to be much character development, but this aspect is accurate to real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of get what you’re saying about the nature of the placement of the chapters. I kind of like it. I think all the little stories come together to tell a grander narrative, even if they might seem random at first. Whatever we’re reading about, we’re always learning something about identity, teenage life, or racial class. The random nature also entertains me as most of the chapters are quite funny and engaging. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Was the Purpose of Joan Gilling? - Blog Post #2

Jason's Narration - Blog Post #4